FARNLEY TYAS
VILLAGE

 

Farnley Tyas is high on a hill  four miles south of Huddersfield in the West Riding of Yorkshire . It is in the Parliamentary Constituency of Dewsbury at present and Kirklees Metropolitan Council and Kirkburton Parish Council.

 

The village is some 900ft above sea level surrounded by  Green Belt and the majority of the village is designated as a Conservation area with a number of listed buildings. The surrounding countryside to the north and west is designated as an area of High Landscape Value and there are belts of ancient woodland close to the village.The church spire  can be seen for miles around and there are many old footpaths which are used by locals and visitors . 

 

FARNLEY TYAS
C of E (C)
FIRST SCHOOL


Farnley Tyas First School aims to help all members of the school community achieve their true potential within a welcoming, inclusive and forward thinking Christian environment.

 

At Farnley Tyas, we are "Working together to be the best we can be." 

Rated Ofsted Outstanding in 2012, and outstanding in the SIAMS report in 2016.

VILLAGE LIFE

 

The focal points in Farnley Tyas village include St Lucius’ Church, the excellent Ofsted rated Primary School (C of E controlled), the Golden Cock Inn and the Bowling Club, along with the Recreation Ground. There is also a thriving WI and a lively and active community group (FTCG) which organises social and fundraising events for local causes. Farnley Estates offers activities such as the Farnley Ride which takes place in summer months. 

FARNLEY TYAS COMMUNITY GROUP

 

"The purpose of the Farnley Tyas Community Group Committee shall be to represent the community of Farnley Tyas.  The Committee shall also promote the interests and well being of the village community as a whole."

From the FTCG Constitution, revised 2011.

The FTCG are responsible for this website.

    

GOLDEN COCK

 

The Golden Cock Inn is thought, in part, to be over 400 years old, however, the new wing on which stands the famous Golden Cock weather vane was added in 1875. As an inn, it was obliged to serve food to travellers even if it was only bread and cheese.

 

The pub was always a social meeting place for the village and had various rooms including a “tap” room into which no women were allowed! Outside the pub there was a wooden pump which was used by villagers in nearby cottages up until 1939. On August 3rd 2014 a memorial to the fallen of World War 1 was unveiled in the place where the pump used to stand.

 

The Golden Cock has been considerably altered in recent years but remains a popular eating place for people from far and near. The pub has recently (September 2019) been taken under new management by the Bridgehose Brewery, serving down to earth pub meals and local guest beers. It still plays host to wedding receptions, christening parties and funeral wakes for local people.

 
ROCHESTER BRIDGE TRUST
The Trust has purchased part of the former Farnley Estate, namely all the let farms, houses, commercial units on Field Lane, bowling club premises, rifle club premises and a number of other plots of land and areas of woodland. They plan in the first few months getting to know the farmers and other tenants, learning more about the history of the properties and putting various buildings into good order. The Trust employs Savills to manage its property estates across the country and they tell us they will be on the ground regularly. FTCG looks forward to welcoming them.
Some parts of the Farnley Estate are still managed by the Sykes family, and this includes Farnley Ride.
ST. LUCIUS CHURCH

 

St Lucius’ church in Farnley Tyas dates from the 19th century, the foundation stone being laid in 1838 and the building completed and opened for worship in 1840.It became part of the united benefice of Almondbury with Farnley Tyas in 1982.

 

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page